CELEBRATING THE ART OF LIVING WELL,
AS THE FRENCH DO,
BY USING ALL FIVE SENSES
TO APPRECIATE EVERYTHING ABOUT LIFE

(FOR MY JOIE DE VIVRE PHILOSOPHY, READ MY FIRST THREE POSTS FROM JUNE 2009)






30 September 2010

Tablescape Thursday

Celebrating Autumn

Here is a tablescape I did a number of years ago, for a local magazine shoot.
I started by draping an antique wool paisley shawl over my dining room table. Its rich, deep hues are perfect for an Autumn table. Layered on top of the shawl are earthy leaf motif majolica plates from Portugal, and on top of those, Herend's hunt plates. I bought these years ago in Bermuda. Unfortunately, these are not available in the US. There are twelve different hunting game motifs (shown below).

Stag handled flatware and a mix of new and antique crystal stemware complete each place setting. Green stemmed glasses have been traditionally used for Mosel wines. (Most stag handled flatware today is made from naturally shed stag horn.)

The centerpiece is all evergreen cuttings, mixed with oak branches, pine cones and pheasant feathers, and arranged in an earthy majolica cache pot. An antique cast iron mountain stag graces the centerpiece. Quail feathers, wrapped around wooden napkin rings, give an additional Autumn hunt flavor to this setting. The napkins are a heavy, nubby cotton - again earthy and not too refined. A silver hand hammered tray, in the background, also has naturally shed stag horn handles.

Birch bark wrapped candles glow inside hand etched hurricanes, with mountain wildlife motifs,
which I borrowed from my sister.
(Top four photos by Jay Elliott.)

A hand carved, antique wooden German bread board says "Gib uns heute unser tagliche brot"
(Give us this day our daily bread).

The twelve Herend hunt motifs (6 animals and 6 birds):












And a few detail shots. Just look at the amazingly realistic colors and details!










Bon Appetit!

To view tablescapes by other bloggers, every Thursday, visit Between Naps On The Porch, where they are all linked. Enjoy!



16 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,
    I followed Susans suggestion to visit the blogs before and after my own link. So I came to yours and... I am speachless! This is so much what I love, I can't believe it. You made a absolutely stunning table.
    From the beautiful shawl which has absolutely the right colors for autumn and the very very pretty and precious Herend plates until the cutlery, crystal, center piece and at last the matching napkin rings is everything perfect. I love the iron cast decoration and surely also the German carved wooden plate. I have a similar one at home. I think I will follow you and have subscribed immediately.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most beautiful setting I encounter today.

    Love all every treasure you have. The theme is just perfect. I can't ask for more.

    Absolutely stunning.

    Happy TS Day,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just BEYOND gorgeous and elegant earthy!!!
    I am sending your link to my sister-in-law- she will just be mesmerized by your talents... I just signed up to follow your fabulous blogs..take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually one of my favorite tables that I've seen over my months of table watching. I love it because it's not only pretty, but it's different. Those plates are awesome. (I just know that I would get the boar's head...)

    It's fallish but with the pretty evergeens could be used right on through the Christmas season and be prettier than many traditionally Christmas tables.

    Really a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, from the beautiful paisley shawl to the gorgeous plates. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness, you are AMAZING!!!! I love your table and I think you are my soul sister?? Oh I wish you lived near me we would have so much fun. I love your dishes and every single thing on your table. It is without a doubt my favorite thing I have seen on the web this week.
    Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting me and sharing this gorgeous table with all of us
    xx
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the most beautiful dinnerware I've ever seen outside of Horchow! And, the panache to put it all together beautifully, beautifully, beautifully. Wish you'd do a book! JAD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tablescape is exquisite! Those plates are real treasures! I love your German Bread board too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tablescape! Every single detail, the shawl, the flatware, the plates, the centerpiece. I am in awe of your creativity. simply stunning. I agree with Just a dreamer - do a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tablescape is so delightfully autumnal and warm !
    :-)

    ps : To answer your question about big detail, perhaps you changed image size parameters inadvertently ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every single element in this tablescape is absolutely exquisite. I've never seen the Herend Hunt plates...they are beautiful! The paisley table cover is right up my alley...great minds think alike. Thank you for sharing your charming design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous table! I love how the greens complement the earthy rust tones of the paisley shawl. Theose Herend hunt plats are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a gorgeous table setting, as a nature girl i love them all!

    thanks for stopping by food for thought, i hope you will join in, i can tell you its great fun and you will enjoy the extra time you spend with your book recreating little edible scenes~ i look forward to seeing what you are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful, elegant and timeless table. The china is just gorgeous, I really love that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your tablescape. I found your site when I googled Hunt Plate Tablescapes. Very nice! This is a perfect fall table. Love, love, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Candy. I'm glad you reminded me of this post. It's that time of year again, for bringing out my Autumn tableware.

    ReplyDelete

Share on Tumblr